Saturday, December 29, 2007

"Take me Home Country Loads"





Hmmm This has been slightly confusing as we are posting pictures on Face book and emailing pictures as well, so if you see the same thing over and over then just enjoy them again. Its been super busy these past few weeks and I've lost track of everything that we've done. It's all become a blur. I guess maybe a good place to start would be talking about our new city and home. We are very happy to be in Taebaek city. It is a smaller city, but really you can get everything you need here. Except for cheese, but i don't think i can get that anywhere. Oh wait, I found a place I can buy cheese sticks. yum! We also finally found a place that sells real coffee. Most people here drink instant, super sweet coffee flavoured drink. It tastes OK, much like a cappuccino, but I must admit I am a fan of black coffee. It was heaven when I drank that first cup. There are lots of things that look familiar, like chips and pizza, but in actuality they are not at all familiar. Mmmmm, shrimp pizza with vegetables I have never seen before in my life. There's a lot to get used to here, and a lot to let go of. If you go to a different country expecting it to be the same then you are sorely deluded, and you will probably be very depressed. The biggest thing I'm having trouble with is the food, but that's just because I don't know what the food is and if it has meat in it or not. I'm starting to really enjoy Kim-bap. Yesterday I learned how to ask for it with no ham. F.Y.I ham is not considered meat... i don't quite get it. Of course there are tons of hilarious things. Yesterday Rob and I went shopping. In one of the dressing rooms, there's a poster with an image of a Korean man and woman in country garb on a horse, written underneath it "Take me home country loads". Then at the ATM there is the message "Thank you for bang king". And don't forget the Crunky chocolate bars!

Our apartment is about a ten minute walk from downtown, so that makes life a lot easier. I really enjoy the traditional market and shopping downtown. I hope to avoid the E-Mateu (or E-mart) as much as possible. It is much like a walmart, in that it sells everything for really really cheap, and also like walmart it puts the smaller shops out of business. We also have a grocery store right behind our apartment. I am absolutely falling in love with the character of the place. Although we try new things everyday, we have found little places that we keep going back to. We have found places with atmospheres that suit us, like the little coffee shop, or the little orange restaurant across from Hwanji pond. All in all life is starting to become comfortable. The only real stress left in my life is the actual teaching part, but i am told that it will become easier as time passes.

No comments: