Friday, January 25, 2008

Taebaek Snow Festival Concert

Oh man, this concert was something I can honestly say I've never seen before, and hopefully never will again. I don't know what I expected, but I was not prepared for the onslaught of cheesy Korean pop music that we endured. Oh well, here are some of the more interesting moments of the night.

Korean drummers, not very good, but entertaining.


The first afro I've seen in Korea. Also, the girls that are clapping their hands are some of my students!



Awww, so cute, Korean soldiers dancing in front of the stage. Notice the heart shape the one soldier makes with his arms. This is a popular gesture here.


And the best part of the night was this crazy electric violin. Amazing!




ANNNND, apparently Rob and I really stand out in a crowd of 1000 people. Of course, the whole event was in Korean, so we can't understand anything that is being said. Suddenly, Mr. Cho (my co-teacher) starts laughing, and says "they are talking about you" and we hear the host say "Where are you from?". Ah, what? So, I yell out "Canada!". If that wasn't strange enough, later on in the evening she mentions to one of the musicians something on stage. All we hear is "Canada" and "hi". So if Taebaek didn't know about us before, they do now. Yeah, we're celebrities.

No comments: