Friday, April 4, 2008

Mashisoyo! (It is delicious!)

I've had many people ask me, "What the H E double hockey sticks do you eat in Korea?"
Well, let me show you! Below are pictures of my current favourite meal "Paek Bun". That roughly translates into rice dinner. It's a good compromise for Rob and myself, as I get delicious Dwen Jang Jiggae (spicy tofu soup) and Rob gets whatever the meat of the day is. The first time we went together, he got chicken. The second time, he got squid. Rob says that squid is quite tasty, but personally I feel a bit queasy when I see him eating the suction cups and the little pointed head. Poor Squidward. (side note: I accidentally got a bite of squid in my Sin Du Boo (soft Tofu) soup yesterday, it feels like eating... maybe a tire? ugh...)

Here I am spooning out some delicious soup into my bowl of rice. Often though, when you go out to eat with Koreans they will just share the bowl of soup and eat directly out of it. They like to share; it's a friendship thing. They share spoons and soju glasses too. Also, you may notice the plethora of side dishes. These are always different.
Here we have yummy squares of kim (dried seaweed), spicy gimchi (fermented spicy cabbage), fish flesh, bean sprouts, and the dish of meat (spicy chicken?).



My favourite soup! Dwen Jang Jiggae mmmmm...Mashida! (Yummy!)



And here are some more random side dishes, you never know what you'll get! Here we have little fishies, bean sprouts, hot peppers, radish gimchi, and molassessy peanuts.




Ah! Our other staple food Kim Bap! Kim = seaweed and Bap = rice. You can get many different kinds of Kim Bap, I prefer mine sans ham and fish flesh. Up in the corner is another type of gimchi. This kind of gimchi is not spicy, but tastes more like saurkraut... only vaguely. It's some sort of pickled radish anyway.

Mashisoyo? Mashisoyo!
(another side note: In Hangung-mal you often answer the question with the question. It is delicious? It is delicious!)

1 comment:

madchenporter said...

omg ur making me hungry. i miss korea! and korean food!!!

have some tapoki for me on the streets :)

glad i found ur blog :)