Monday, May 25, 2009

OOO! a new post from WORK!

I can finally blog at school! Previous to this day, they (whoever they are) had been blocking this site. It was a sad state of affairs indeed.
now... what to blog about... hmmm.
This past weekend, Rob and myself went to the city of Daegu. I had some artwork up in a competition, so we went to go check it out the final day/closing party shindig. It was a lot of fun.
We met a couple of nice people, Reyna and Ahn Do. After the award ceremony (Ahn Do won first place in his category!) we went and chilled with them at
Reyna's hangout/coffeeshop/bar/guitarlesson place. We listened to some guitar playing and fabulous singing and talked about Canada.
This week is going okay so far... I'm preparing my students for their speaking test in two weeks. We'll see how that goes.
On Wednesday there is a meeting about Korean language classes. I'm glad that they are (finally) offering language classes here, but I am worried about the extra responsibilities that come with it. Rumour has it that if you take the class you must participate in a speaking competition. Last year some of the native english teachers (NET) took part in a speaking competition. For some of them it wasn't optional. Unfortunately, there was a TV crew there filming the event, and what ended up on TV afterwards was a little insulting to the poor NETs. If you've ever seen Korean TV they really like to make fun of people's mistakes. There was no sympathy at all, even though none of the NETs had been taking classes. So, a lot of the people here are burned and aren't at all interested. The other funny thing is that many of the NETs are taking part in the Dano Festival (something else that wasn't optional to some people). Leave it to the board of education to create two mandatory events, on the same day. sigh.
Anyway, It's finally HOT here and I am loving the weather. There are only about 5 weeks of actually teaching time until finals. Somewhere in there I will also teach 2 English camps. The, FINALLY I will go on VACATION!!!!! This summer's plans are to travel to the southern provinces of Korea, and visit Busan and Che-ju, then take the ferry over to Japan for a few days. Hopefully it will be a relaxed, go with da flow kind of vacation. I really dislike the visit 2 countries in a long weekend kind of travel like we did with Cambodia and Vietnam. It was way too fast, with too many bumpy/rickety modes of transportation.
that's it for now, I should probably get back to work. I have a whole TWO classes today. Yowza, my life is tough.
xo, Kat
p.s. just found out North Korea tested a nuclear bomb underground. awesome. and all the American NETs are freaking out.

2 comments:

Mrs. Squish said...

I heard about the nukes, was thinking about you guys today! You should go for it (re: language class), never know - you might do really well! Our apple tree is ready to blossom, the snow is gone, and we've had some hot days here too. Which I'm sure you already know!

Cheers.

katherine said...

really, no one is too worried about it over here. North Korea is always trying to prove how strong it is. But we all know better.

not that nukes don't scare me JUST a little. but i'm sure that CNN is totally creating massive hysteria over it.