Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Happy New Year!

Well it's been awhile since our last post. Sorry 'bout that. It just seems that there isn't much to blog about, even though there really is. It's strange how normalized Korea has become to me. Before everything was new and exciting, but now it's just life.

During December we had our final classes with our students. It was a little hard saying goodbye to the grade 2 students, as I have taught them for two years. There were a few tears those days. I have to admit that leaving is bittersweet. On one hand I am excited to come back to Canada and be with friends and family again. On the other hand I will miss the students and the city of Taebaek. I've come to know them well.

As a random surprise, which happens fairly often here (not always for the good) Rob and I found out that we had 10 days off of school. We had from the 25 to the 5 off, happiness ensued.

During Christmas, Rob and I went to Seoul and spent a bunch of money on non-Korean food. It was great. It's amazing how much food tastes better when you only eat it every 6 months. I hate to say it but Subway was HEAVEN in a freshly baked warm bun.
Of course the Indian food was even better, is there something better than heaven?
We also found a new hooka bar called Nabi. It was really beautiful. It had a shallow pool in the middle of the room, with rose petals and candles floating in it. There were no chairs and tables, instead you reclined on floor pillows with the short little Korean style tables. Of course we didn't bring our camera, so we have no pictures to show you. Just imagine, dark red, warm, incense, smoke, beaded chandeliers, water and soft conversation. It was very relaxing. I'd love to make my bedroom like that somehow.

During the new year we climbed Taebaek Mountain at 4:30 in the morning to watch the sunrise at 7:37. It was a spectacular sunrise and the freezing cold temperatures were definately worth it. Then, I think I slept for the next 2 days.

Now, I am teaching the freshman students. It's pretty fun as I only have 2 classes a day. I'm keeping the lessons fairly simple and fun, as their English level is relatively low. Plus, I just want to have fun too!

Soon we will be in Thailand where we will meet up with my parents. From there we will go to Cambodia and Vietnam. Hopefully our posts will pick up, as we will have more interesting things to talk about.

Love,
Kat

No comments: